Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Making my Glog

I decided to make a Glog for this weeks posting on classroom web pages/sites. It ended up being really fun!! Classroom websites that I reviewed included sites from A.F. Palmer Elementary School, which is where I went as a child, and a website created by my host teachers from French Road Elementary School in Brighton, NY. I tried to find a classroom website for my second placement at School #7 in the Rochester City School District but could not find one. I described the websites for A.F. Palmer on my Glog so I will include some of my findings the FRES site here. It included two of the three elements that Baker says makes up many classroom web pages today: newsletters, external links, and various supports for publishing (2007). It had many different pages with links to additional resources, monthly newsletter, and pages for each subject with a description of what would be covered throughout the year. There was even a link to "Puzzles" but none were listed at the time. I feel that all of the classroom web pages that I looked need to be updated and revised so that students can use them as a collaborative workspace. Teachers, especially teachers with older children, should allow students to take part in the editing process of the website. Web sites should also feature information and resources based off of the information that students are learning on a daily basis. Baker states that "Classroom web sites can neatly fit with classroom instruction and likely facilitate the current curriculum" (2007, p. 57). Schools provide teachers with a space on the web to be as creative as they please. I hope that more teachers take advantage of this space and make it spot where their students can go to, inside and outside the classroom, to collaborate, explore, and continue to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment